engine oil NISSAN 350Z 2007 Z33 Power Steering System Workshop Manual
Page 6 of 36
POWER STEERING FLUID
Revision: 2006 November2007 350Z
POWER STEERING FLUIDPFP:KLF20
Checking Fluid LevelNGS00007
Stop engine before performing a fluid level check.
Ensure that fluid level is between the MAX range and MIN level.
Because fluid level differs within the HOT range and the COLD
range, check it carefully.
Do not overfill the MAX level.
Do not reuse any used power steering fluid.
Checking Fluid LeakageNGS00008
Check that hydraulic piping lines for improper attachment and for
leaks, cracks, damage, loose connections, chafing or deterioration.
1. Run engine until fluid temperature reaches 50 to 80° C (122 to
176°F) in reservoir tank. Keep engine speed idle.
2. Turn steering wheel right-to-left several times.
3. Hold steering wheel at each “lock” position for five seconds to
check fluid leakage.
Do not hold steering wheel in a locked position for more
than 10 seconds. (There is the possibility that oil pump may
4. If fluid leakage at connections is noticed, then loosen flare nut and then retighten. Do not over tighten con-
nector as this can damage O-ring, washer and connector.
5. If fluid leakage at the connectors is noticed, then loosen the flare nut and retighten it.
6. Check steering gear boots for accumulation of fluid indicating a from steering gear.
Air Bleeding Hydraulic SystemNGS00009
Incomplete air bleeding causes the following. When this happens, bleed air again.
Generation of air bubbles in reservoir tank
Generation of clicking noise in oil pump
Excessive buzzing in oil pump
When vehicle is stationary or while steering wheel is being turned slowly, some noise may be heard from
oil pump or gear. This noise is normal and does not affect any system.
1. Stop engine, and then turn steering wheel fully to right and left several times.
Do not allow steering fluid reservoir tank to go below the low-level line. Check tank frequenter and
add fluid as needed.
2. Run engine at idle speed. Turn steering wheel fully to the right and then fully to the left, and keep for about
three seconds. Then check whether a fluid leakage has occurred.
3. Repeat the 2nd procedure several times at about three seconds intervals.
Do not hold steering wheel in the locked position more than 10 seconds. (There is the possibility
that oil pump may be damaged.)
4. Check generation of air bubbles and cloud in fluid.
5. If air bubbles and the cloud don't fade, stop engine, hold air bleeding until air bubbles and the cloud fade.
Perform the 2nd and the 3rd procedures again.
6. Stop engine, check fluid level.HOT : Fluid temperatures from 50 to 80 °C (122 to
COLD : Fluid temperatures from 0 to 30°C (32 to 86°F)
Page 7 of 36
Revision: 2006 November2007 350Z
On-Vehicle Inspection and ServiceNGS0000A
CHECKING CONDITION OF INSTALLATION
Check installation condition of steering gear assembly, front sus-
pension, axle and steering column.
Check if movement exists when steering wheel is moved up and
down, to the left and right and to the axial direction.
Check if the mounting bolts for steering gear assembly are loose
or not. Refer to PS-17, "
POWER STEERING GEAR AND LINK-
CHECKING STEERING WHEEL PLAY
1. Set tires to the straight ahead, start engine, then turn steering wheel to the left and right lightly, and mea-
sure steering wheel movement on the outer circumference when steering wheel is turned up to the point
where tires start moving.
CHECKING NEUTRAL POSITION ON STEERING WHEEL
Check neutral position on steering wheel after confirming that front wheel alignment is correct. Refer to
SERVICE DATA AND SPECIFICATIONS (SDS)" .
1. Set the vehicle to the straight ahead-direction, check if steering wheel is in the neutral position.
2. If it is not in the neutral position, remove steering wheel and reinstall it correctly.
3. If the neutral position cannot adjust in the two teeth of steering gear assembly, loosen tie-rod lock nuts of
steering outer sockets, then adjust tie-rods by the same amount in the opposite direction.
CHECKING STEERING WHEEL TURNING FORCE
1. Park vehicle on a level and dry surface, set parking brake.
2. Start engine.
3. Bring power steering fluid up to adequate operating temperature. [Make sure temperature of fluid is
approximately 50 to 80°C (122 to 176°F).]
4. Check steering wheel turning force when steering wheel has
been turned 540° from neutral position.
Multiply the distance (L) from the hook of spring scale to the
center of steering wheel by the measurement value with a spring
5. If steering wheel turning force is out of the specification, check
rack sliding force and relief hydraulic pressure of oil pump.
Regarding relief hydraulic pressure of oil pump, refer to PS-28,
"CHECKING RELIEF OIL PRESSURE" .
a. Disconnect lower joint and steering knuckle from steering gear assembly. Refer to PS-17, "
Installation" , FA X - 4 , "Removal and Installation" .
b. Start and run engine at idle to make sure steering fluid has reached normal operating temperature.End play of the axle direction for steering wheel:
0 mm (0 in)
Steering wheel play on the outer circumference : 0 - 35 mm (0 - 1.38 in)
Steering wheel turning
force: 7.45 N·m (0.76 kg-m, 66 in-lb)
Page 28 of 36
POWER STEERING OIL PUMP
Revision: 2006 November2007 350Z
POWER STEERING OIL PUMPPFP:49110
On-Vehicle Inspection and ServiceNGS0000H
CHECKING RELIEF OIL PRESSURE
Before starting work, confirm belt tension is proper.
1. Connect oil pressure gauge (SST) and oil pressure gauge
adapter (SST) between oil pump discharge connector and high
pressure hose and then bleed air from the hydraulic circuit.
2. Start engine. Allow engine to run until tank temperature reaches
50 to 80°C (122 to 176°F).
Warm up engine with shut-off valve fully opened. If
engine is started with shut-off valve closed, fluid pres-
sure in power steering pump increases to maximum. This
will raise fluid temperature excessively.
Be careful not to contact hose with belt when engine is
3. With engine at idle, close shut-off valve and read the relief oil
Do not close shut-off valve of pressure gauge for more than 10 seconds.
4. After measurement, open shut-off valve slowly.
If relief oil pressure is outside the specification, disassemble and repair oil pump. Refer to PS-29, "Dis-
assembly and Assembly" .
5. After inspection, disconnect oil pressure gauge (SST) and oil pressure gauge adapter (SST) from hydrau-
lic circuit, connect oil pump discharge connector and high pressure hose. Add fluid and bleed air from
hydraulic circuit thoroughly. Refer to PS-6, "
Air Bleeding Hydraulic System" .
Removal and InstallationNGS0000I
1. Remove engine cover.
2. Remove air cleaner box.
3. Drain water from radiator upper tank, then remove radiator upper hose.
4. Remove radiator fan shroud. Refer to CO-13, "
Removal and Installation" .
Relief oil pressure:
9,600 - 10,200 kPa (97.9 - 104 kg/cm
2 , 1,392 - 1,479 psi)