3456-3. Do-it-yourself maintenance
Maintenance and care
The engine compartment contains many mechanisms and fluids that may
move suddenly, become hot, or become electrically energized. To avoid death
or serious injury, observe the following precautions.
■When working on the engine compartment
●Make sure that the “READY” indicator is off.
● Keep hands, clothing and tools away from the moving fan and engine
● Be careful not to touch the engine, power control unit, radiator, exhaust
manifold, etc. right after driving as they may be hot. Oil and other fluids
may also be hot.
● Do not leave anything that may burn easily, such as paper and rags, in the
● Do not smoke, cause sparks or expose an open flame to fuel. Fuel fumes
■ When working near the electric cooling fans or radiator grille
Be sure the power switch is off.
With the power switch in ON mode, t he electric cooling fans may automati-
cally start to run if the air conditioning is on and/or the coolant temperature
is high. ( P. 355)
■ Safety glasses
Wear safety glasses to prevent flying or falling material, fluid spray, etc.
from getting in your eyes.
■If you remove the air cleaner filter
Driving with the air cleaner filter removed may cause excessive engine wear
due to dirt in the air.
3526-3. Do-it-yourself maintenance
■Used engine oil
●Used engine oil contains potentially harmful contaminants which may
cause skin disorders such as inflammation and skin cancer, so care
should be taken to avoid prolonged and repeated contact. To remove used
engine oil from your skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
● Dispose of used oil and filters only in a safe and acceptable manner. Do
not dispose of used oil and filters in household trash, in sewers or onto the
Call your Toyota dealer, service station or auto parts store for information
concerning recycling or disposal.
● Do not leave used engine oil within the reach of children.
■To prevent serious engine damage
Check the oil level on a regular basis.
■ When replacing the engine oil
●Be careful not to spill engine oil on the vehicle components.
● Avoid overfilling, or the engine could be damaged.
● Check the oil level on the dipstick every time you refill the vehicle.
● Be sure the engine oil filler cap is properly tightened.
*: The engine oil capacity is a reference quantity to be used when changingthe engine oil. Warm up the engine and turn off the hybrid system, wait
more than 5 minutes, and check the oil level on the dipstick.
Drain and refill (Reference
4.6 qt. (4.4 L, 3.9 Imp. qt.)
4.2 qt. (4.0 L, 3.5 Imp. qt.)